A world where U-Battery is an important part of a low carbon sustainable energy landscape.
U-Battery's vision in detail
U-Battery can help address a number of challenges related to the need to develop a low carbon economy. It can:
- Produce both power and heat for heavy industrial locations.
- Could be used as a back-up support for large scale nuclear generating sites instead of diesel.
- Be deployed in remote locations.
- Provide solutions to water scarce areas through desalination.
- Generate hydrogen for hydrogen-powered vehicles.
The U-Battery Concept:
U-Battery is a micro nuclear reactor that will mainly target the markets for industrial power units and off-grid applications.
The modular design of U-Battery will enable it to be factory-built and delivered to the site where it will operate. This will lead to faster and more affordable build times as well as simplicity in transporting the product to a global set of customers across multiple geographies.
U-Battery is powered by TRISO fuel which prevents the release of radioactive material minimising the need for back-up safety systems and reduces the size of any exclusion zone allowing the energy source to be located directly adjacent to the point of use.
These factors enable U-Battery to have a low up front capital cost which makes it an attractive, affordable low carbon heat and power source.